Saturday 30 January 2016

The Silence of the Lambs (1991, dir. Jonathan Demme)



    Due to technical complications, I wasn't able to see the next film on my list, David Cronenberg's 'Videodrome', last night. However, I did manage to watch another film instead. I'd always imagined I would enjoy 'The Silence of the Lambs' a lot, it adhering to my personal criteria for “good horror” (i.e. humanity as the monster, blurring genre lines etc.) Yet, upon watching it, I felt as if my own hyping-it-up had caused me to enjoy the actual film a lot less than I'd expected. It was a lot more dated than I was expecting. The creepiness of Buffalo Bill seemed pantomime. And Hannibal Lecter himself, so iconic a character, bore no shocks to me as I already knew the character through countless pop-culture references and parodies. But I wondered how I would have viewed the film had I not known of its existence or reputation before-hand. In other words, how damaging is hype to film?

Before watching most films, I tend to avoid not just spoilers but reviews, praise and criticism altogether. Part of the joy of watching a film is being able to craft one's own personal response to it. Whether its well or poorly made, the real verdict happens in the eyes of the viewer as an individual. While this means prior knowledge of criticism shouldn't really matter (if its about personal response), it can still heavily impact one's personal viewing. The parts that a critic flag up become the parts that you flag up too, whether you intend to or not. I shut myself away from all news about the latest 'Star Wars' film until I had seen it for this reason and, I believe, enjoyed it a lot more as a result.

But what about films like 'The Silence of the Lambs', where their reputation makes it impossible to avoid this crisis? Comparing it to Hitchcock's 'Psycho', another reputable thriller about a psychopath, I found that the hype worked quite differently. Firstly, I felt that 'Silence' is recent enough in cinematic history to warrant a more contemporary criticism, measuring it by more recent standards. Whereas 'Psycho', dating from 1960, has to be reviewed in the context of its time. For 'Psycho', reputation works to rescue it from antiquity, one asks themselves why they bother watching a film from so long ago, and the answer lies in its reputation. At first, 'Silence' seemed too recent to be able to look past its clunkiness. Yet, as I've stated earlier, it seems dated. Perhaps 'Silence' is old enough to be “from another time”, its complicated as it seems to lie on the edge of recent and vintage. One may argue that it is entirely vintage and I would partially agree, were it not for its reputation (which its, ironically, acquired through its age).

However, it isn't as straight-forward as this as sometimes the “vintage” aspect of a film can be one of its highlights to a modern audience. I appreciated the vintage aspects of 'Silence', yet I feel it didn't heighten the affects of the film, whereas the vintage aspects of 'Psycho' do heighten its affects. Ignoring the age of the films though, I much prefer the plot of 'Psycho' to 'Silence'. The latter has far too much melodrama in its premise, the characters are too larger-than-life to be truly terrifying. But 'Psycho' is truly still scary today as an idea, for Norman Bates could be anyone. How many Hannibal Lecters do you know? 'Silence' never bears its normal, socially realistic side, whereas 'Psycho' (despite its artifice and style) still speaks to modern audiences because of its everyday-ness.

Despite this, I still enjoyed 'The Silence of the Lambs'. I thought Jodie Foster's character was wonderful, and her twisted relationship to Lecter both ingenious and intriguing. I just feel that I was let down by its hype. I had already seen bits of Hopkins' performance, so that when I came to see it in the film it had little shock value. Above all I felt that it was let down by my own wanting-to-like-it. The sound of the film ticked so many mental boxes that when I saw it, I could only think of the ones it didn't tick. Though perhaps in years I will come back to the film, remembering my disappointment, and watch it again and then say that I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment