Thursday 28 January 2016

Under the Skin (2014, dir. Jonathan Glazer)

     

    This is the only film on my list that I had already seen, it was Katharine's pick. But, after re-watching it, I realised just how much I really do like it. And, despite its minimalism, it felt just as fresh and unnerving as it did the first time round (in fact, maybe even more so). The plot is simple; Scarlett Johansson plays an alien driving around Glasgow in a white van, picking up men and then harvesting them. The simplicity and obscurity of certain elements of the plot (i.e. why is she harvesting men? Who is the motorcyclist that seems to be stalking her?) creates a rorshach effect where much of the meaning is in the hands of the viewer.

Yet its not so obscure as to be completely without subtext, the film is, plainly speaking, presenting humankind to the viewer as alien. Everyday and familiar things; football fans leaving a stadium, trees bending in the wind, a Tommy Cooper routine on television, streets glowing and glistening on a wet night, are presented as otherworldly and bizarre, sometimes beautiful and sometimes threatening. This creates an uncanny atmosphere that gets, as the title suggests, under the skin. It achieves this is several ways; the juxtaposition of the natural and urban scenes (both beautiful albeit in a rough, savage way), Johansson's detached performance (which reminds one of the lead from Repulsion) and the sheer lack of exposition.

There is an uncanniness in Johansson's character which works as a reverse of the human characters and environments. We are drawn to her at the same time as being detached through her blank stare. A moment of doubt occurs for her as she releases one of her victims, a man with a deformed face. Up until then, she approaches her mission as routine, having the upper hand in all her encounters. But at this moment, as she stares at herself in a mirror and then notices a fly trying to escape, its as if its all suddenly clicked, and the terrifying expanse of humanity has actually made an impact upon her, triggering an identity crisis. From then on, her detachment has a meaning and we, the viewer, can truly empathise with her (because she can empathise with us). This culminates in a sublime and horrific final scene which questions the nature of humanity.

I would describe 'Under the Skin' as horror, similarly to 'The Act of Killing'. I feel as if the true job of horror is not to scare but to unsettle, and the terrors should always be human. Humanity is the only thing to really be scared of. This isn't absolute though, there can be good paranormal or monster films. But I feel the truly effective ones are those that affect the viewer outside of the screen. I've compared both 'Under the Skin' and 'The Act of Killing' to 'Repulsion' as a film I am really fond of. To me 'Repulsion' is truly effective as horror because the threat is real. Though I cannot yet tell if I prefer 'Under the Skin' to 'Repulsion'. As I have previously stated, I don't find film to be something that can be put in an ultimate order, but I noticed that I reacted more to 'Under the Skin'. I think this is primarily because of the style of the film, the savage beauty which is lacking in 'Repulsion'. I find the film, in its glacial pace, to be sublime in every aspect, even down to the soundtrack which suits the pictures almost perfectly.

(Another observation I couldn't link into the post: The strangeness of humanity as seen through the eyes of an alien set-up echoes 'Borat', which yields similar results to a completely different effect. I think one can see the absolute difference between genres in these two films and the expectations/reaction of the audience.)




No comments:

Post a Comment